Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Antics of Klutzilla

What happens when patent leather touches other patent leather? It sticks. As in, grips with all its might. So if one patent leather heel touches another? Down goes the trendy lady in said heels, as if she were tripping over her own feet. Now, imagine this scenario taking place at a crosswalk with a single car stopped to wait for aforesaid lady to cross. She trips, in the middle of the street, directly in the driver's field of vision. Instead of getting embarrassed when the driver starts to laugh hysterically, she looks up at him and has a good chuckle as well. Imagine how liberating that must feel for the klutzy woman? Everyone does embarrassing things. Whether in the public sphere or in the comfort of one's own home, every single individual on this good earth has done something either klutzy, stupid, or both. I just so happen to be one of those people that has a talent for struggling in front of an audience. You may have guessed already that the trips-in-the-road chick was me. And I did in fact have a great laugh with that driver. It was the start to a fantastic day. I also laughed with the lady on the bus the next day when I lurched down the bus stairs and got my Starbucks all over me. Another fantastic day. (No sarcasm!)
When I lived in London, I did so many overwhelmingly embarrassing and idiotic things. At first I worried about it, turned bright red, tried to play it cool. But then it hit me. I would more than likely never, ever see any of those people again. If anyone had witnessed my klutzy antics, they probably just laughed at me and then forgot it ever happened. Or, I would become one of those stories: "Oh my gosh, one time I saw this girl....", which is absolutely fine with me. It just dawned on me, just like that. I'll never see them again, and at least I made someone happy. I like making people happy. So if my shoe falling off and tumbling down the stairs in the subway station made someone laugh, then I can laugh too, and find solace in the fact that I made someone's day a little better. The random stranger that saw me miss my mouth while taking a drink from a water bottle? I may just have made their day. So it's ok with me now. I don't mind embarrassing myself, because the worst that could happen is that no one is there to laugh with me. So there you have it. Liberating, isn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment